Monday, June 4, 2012

Omoseye Bolaji ponders being a movie star...

I suppose I should be gratified and grateful that I have experienced a number of gongs, exhilarating highlights in my life, thanks to my writing career, such as it is. A recent highlight was when the news broke in South Africa that a film documentary focusing on my literary contributions would soon be made by a major film-making firm. This development was published liberally, and many got to hear about it. Inevitably people, especially strangers were enthused about this, and I was congratulated everywhere. "We’ve read that a camera crew will be coming from Johannesburg to film you!" was a constant refrain. This happened virtually everywhere I went - inevitably at libraries, other public places including eateries and parks - it was a bit worrying that many people were construing the news as if it was a conventional block-busting movie! Hence, a large number of people, apart from the usual congratulation, would give me their phone numbers, and other details, including CVs! "We want to be in the movie too, my friend," they said. Actually I am very grateful to Winnie Mokhomo who packaged the documentary. But it was what happened at the main post office that startled me most. The section where I collect my assorted parcels. I got to the place where we rapp on the window-like panel, and took my place at the small queue. I saw two people inside the office, the officials suddenly stare at me and freeze. Then they smiled. The coloured (half-caste lady) went to a corner, and to my shock, brought out a large newspaper story on the film documentary to be made about me. It had been specially laminated! Those around beamed at this, and all eyes swivelled on me. I was embarrassed as the coloured woman hoisted the laminated piece around, saying” “You see,we were all so excited when we saw this. We said - we know this man! He comes here once, twice, a week to collect parcels," Another official, the slender young man, added - "We are very happy for you, and proud of you. Congratulations, Ntate. I am sure it would be a great movie." I thanked them for their goodwill, hoping the ground could open up and swallow me! Then the coloured lady added: "Do you think I am good-looking enough to appear in the movie?” - Omoseye Bolaji

2 comments:

  1. Exhilarating and jocund. Bolaji invests the gamut of the mundane with a sort of special allure...giving them their resounding due. A born writer of the first order. And congratulations to him again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great being involved in the documentary. I never knew it took so long to shoot even the smallest scenes

    ReplyDelete