Saturday, September 15, 2012

HOIST BY MY OWN PETARD!


By OMOSEYE BOLAJI

So much had changed at this township that it seemed incredible. Admittedly I had not been here for years, but I still found it inconceivable that I had once lived at this particular place for over half a year!



But at least Shimo, who still lived here, and who had been close to me in those days, was still as amiable as ever. He kept on smiling, even as he pointed now, saying - "That's the house in which you used to stay. Remember it?"

I grunted. Yes I did, but it had changed too. New coat of paint, though for me not for the better. A sort of fence in front of it. I stared to the left. “That building - that provisions shop we used to frequent. Where the hell is it now? That’s not it!” I said.

“Ooh, that old store,” Shimo replied. "It’s gone. This new building has replaced it. A funeral parlour! So many people are dying now.” Depressing.

He became excited as we approached the big field, where people used to play football. To my surprise, a game was on now, being watched by a fair number of people. He said: "At least the field is here, and young people still play. You used to love watching games. Let’s do so for a while, before you leave."

“Really, I must leave now –“ I said.

“Come on chief, “ Shimo coaxed. “Just for a while. You write a lot about catching players whilst they are young, from the grassroots. This is the grassroots! Just watch a bit!”

I smiled - it seemed I was hoist by my own petard!

So I watched the players...in truth not all of them were really young, but that's neither here nor there. Soon, I became entranced with one player who struck me as being a throwback to the past, a genuine, skilful, dribbling left winger, so rare to see these days...it made me go down memory lane. How many great, effervescent players have graced the left wing for Nigeria over the decades?

I thought about Adokiye Amiesimeka, arguably Nigeria's greatest ever left winger, at least as far as skill is concerned. His trickery and vision terrorised defenders in many international matches, and he was part of the victorious Africa Cup of Nations team of 1980. Even as a young player he was suave, polished, well-spoken.

My mind went again to Felix Owolabi, who played for donkey years - his exploits on the left flank lasted till he was almost 40 - was more direct and aggressive, as brave as any player could be. He also played many matches for the Eagles. Owolabi was a veritable stalwart for the old Shooting Stars club, a great left winger like Kunle Awesu.

Humphrey Edobor, who initially played with Stephen Keshi in the old Bendel Insurance club, was a seemingly languid but very skilful left winger. He also played many matches for Nigeria, with his sublime crosses, and unexpected scorching shots. In the 80 s he helped Nigeria to a very rare win over Ghana right there in Accra, a great feat anytime, any era. Edobor scored, and created another goal in that great match.

Now in the modern era, we have seen Emmanuel Amunike emerging as the most successful Nigerian left winger ever. More direct and a dangerous goal scorer, Amuneke was pivotal as Nigeria won the Africa Nations Cup for the second time in 1994; and incredibly, the Olympics gold in 1996. Amuneke also played and scored at the 1998 World Cup finals. Who can forget his goal against the lofty Italians?

Ah, the quintessential left-wingers!

Above pic: Emmanuel Amuneke

2 comments:

  1. Despite being such a great writer, Bolaji has always loved sports; football in particular for decades, unlike some of us. Each to his own I suppose

    ReplyDelete
  2. A versatile writer, Ntate Bolaji. It's wonderful that people the world over can learn from his writings which is multi-ranged with a touching nostalgia of the past...

    ReplyDelete