Tuesday, November 12, 2013

THE HAPLESS LADY




By Omoseye Bolaji

entered the house through the new passage way on the left. Yes it had been quite a while since I was last here! Some four years ago. Life moves on

Yet it was a family I had a lot of respect for; comprising three matriarchs in their late 60s, and their offspring including the nieces - like Didi; who I now noticed was sitting down at a sort of dining table, a disconcerting, jarring expression on her face while the matriarchs beamed at me.

I moved closer to Didi, a bit bewildered at her haunted, languid face, and the way her right hand seemed lifeless.

"Seems Didi does not know me again," I tried to joke. Unsuccessfully. Now I noticed she was  using crutches. What was this?

"Oh" I said. "I'm sorry. Seems you have been in an accident," It was patent to me now that her right hand was largely useless.

Didi at last spoke now, and I soon realised that mentally at least she was as sharp as ever. "Not an accident, Bolaji," she said slowly and strangely. "I have had a stroke, paralysing some of my body parts".

I winced. I was so shocked that I found myself bursting out rather crazily: "How the hell can you have a stroke at 40 when your mother, your aunts (the three matriarchs referred to earlier) are as strong and active as oxes -".

"You know our Didi stresses too much" two of the matriarchs said now. "It is very sad indeed,".      
"I want to talk to Bolaji alone; explain things to him," Didi said, in effect dismissing the matriarchs.

 Alone, she now told me why and how she had become so stressed, worried about a particular debt she had, and how the creditor had hounded her till the stroke was precipitated. I was horrified to learn that the money she owed was not even up to a thousand rand! And she had suffered a stroke! Amother of two kids!

My mind went back to many years ago when I had been new in this area in South Africa; Didi personally organising, giving me things like curtains and some kitchenware for the first place where I had stayed…

But now she was saying; "If you can help me beg the Creditor...I will give you his contact details. Beg him for me, tell him I have been very sick, I lost my job...I can t pay him now...pls beg him for me..."

My voice hardened. "I am certainly NOT going to do that," I said; she looked disappointed, hurt.  

Then I said: "You see we must remove the root of your stress, the debt. So the only help I can give you is give you the money to pay that accursed creditor. So I am gonna give you the money, or most of it in cash,"

She stared at me, incredulous. "No, but - I know you are not rich -"

"Don't worry about that. The important thing is for you to pay the guy, start getting better fast for the sake of your kids...and that's an order. I am giving you the money in return for you to recover quickly!!".


I gave her in cash most of the money she owed the "creditor". As tears came to her eyes, I looked away, feeling bad at the cruel vicissitudes of life...

3 comments:

  1. Moving and disturbing. A magnanimous gesture on the part of the columnist; in our world now people largely care only about themselves, exaggerating their problems even when they are okay. This example shows a real problem - which mother would want to be paralysed and hapless with stroke; while we the 'abled' continue with our selfish ways wanting more and more and not caring about those who are really afflicted?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bolaji seems to be incapable of writing a boring narrative, even when it is quite serious like this. It is a pity that more and more young blacks are dying daily prematurely mainly because of so many unnecessary stresses,and truth to tell, greed. I once had a friend who had 2 houses, cars, and yet drove himself to an early grave by wanting even more; very foolish indeed

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is strange that people who are not rich are often the ones who are always ready to help others and do good things: I know as a fact that over the years Bolaji has helped me a lot with many problem, including money....but not as much as this! This is a special case of course

    ReplyDelete