Monday, March 28, 2011

ALEJO PATAKI

Alejo Pataki (the distinguished guest)

By OMOSEYE BOLAJI

It was a rather exciting time as Achal Prabhala, a notable international scholar and researcher, spent some days in Bloemfontein city, South Africa (where I am based), learning more about black writing at grassroots level. Flatteringly, he spent a considerable time with me.

Of course I was not the only one Achal met and probed on writing literature. He also met established writers like Flaxman Qoopane, Pule Lechesa, Hector Kunene, Nthabiseng “Jah Rose” Jafta, Raselebeli Khotseng etc. Affable, charming yet intellectually pugnacious (!), Achal was a busy bee during his visit.

On consecutive evenings/nights, I was privileged to be ensconced at the famed Mimosa Mall in Bloemfontein – sipping drinks and the like with Achal. There are many layers to this suave gentleman! This alumnus of Yale University, USA, is a consultant to the nigh-monolithic Wikipedia, an associate editor for Chimurenga, among so many other feathers in his cap.

He is also an avid reader; easily discussing classical and/or literary works of the likes of Charles Dickens, William Shakespeare, Thomas Hardy, JM Coetzee, Ngugi, Nadine Gordimer, Chinua Achebe, Tsitsi Dangarembga, Dambudzo Marechera, among many others. And as a proud Indian, he is well aware of the literary trends in his own country.

As regards Nigeria, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the gentleman (Achal), is well aware of most of the key writers, scholars, universities and even the quality publishers. He even had quite a lot to say about my Ibadan city! I was beginning to think he was something of an “anjonnu” – a wizard!

He has a fine sense of humour too with his regular quips, anecdotes and witticisms. He told me bluntly: “I have an idea I’d have to see a psychiatrist after finishing with you!” Apparently I was sending him around the bend! I assured him it was mutual, with his scholarly pontifications.

I was also staggered with Achal’s generosity. He was ready to pay princely sums to buy certain publications (books), and in incongruous fashion, I found myself in a position where I had to be convincing him not to pay so much for certain works. He assured us that he was a most assiduous reader, who could be at ease devouring the classics and at the same time appreciating what some might dub “trashy literature.”

For me, one of the highlights of his visit was when Achal visited Flaxman Qoopane’s famous “Literary Gallery”. Qoopane, author, poet and journalist, has a fascinating collection of articles, interviews, critiques and lurid photographs of hundreds of writers – especially African - across the world. Achal was busying taking photos hither and thither and putting in appropriate comments intermittently.

Hector Kunene, always something of a dynamo and a whirlwind of activity, was often in “action” too, as an enthusiastic host and “chaperon” for Achal Prabhala. He was ably “assisted” by the charming Jah Rose, as the red carpet was metaphorically laid out for the illustrious guest.

Not that Achal always appreciated being complimented. He strongly resented my calling him a superstar, for one thing. “You’ve abused that word!” he explained to me, smiling. “Don’t describe me in that way...” It was an unforgettable visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment