Tuesday, March 1, 2011

GEM OF AN ARTIST



By OMOSEYE BOLAJI

(Right) Stephen Achugwo

An impressive crowd gathered at the historic Hoffman Square in Bloemfontein city (South Africa). On my own part I wondered what was going on. A public speaker holding forth? Traditional dancers gyrating? Or was it the famed “iron bender” who intermittently entertained people?

None of the above! It was actually an impromptu exhibition of the works of an artist; a painter, that people were drooling over. I moved closer and saw that the paintings were excellent. There was one on Oprah Winfrey, the celebrated American talk show hostess. There were others delineating sundry well known figures.

But probably the piece de resistance was that of the revered Nelson Mandela, depicting him in his glory; regal, refulgent, even coruscating. It was not surprising that so many people congregated around this particular painting.

Right there and then people were already negotiating, buying some of the paintings; others, especially ladies, were requesting the painter - the cynosure of all eyes - to make such colour portraits (paintings) for them too. Yet, as I got near the painter his accent made it clear to me that he could not be a South African. Now, he grinned at me and said:

Old boy, why you dey look at me like that?” Then he added in formal English: “Both of us are from Nigeria. Don’t say you have not heard about me, as I know you well. You are Omoseye Bolaji the journalist and writer; no be so?”

We hugged each other and a couple of journalists who knew me well, including the iconic Flaxman Qoopane, laughed. But not everybody welcomed my “intrusion” at that moment. Some of them wanted to continue negotiations with the painter, whose name is Stephen Achugwo.

Yes, Stephen Achugwo is from Nigeria. He came to South Africa in October 2002. “My philosophy in art is based on inspiration. I love creating paintings and artworks that inspire people. I believe that with inspiration, a man can achieve stupendous success in any calling,” he was to explain.

Now, Stephen Chinedu Achugwo has become quite well known in South Africa. Recently he completed a splendid painting which pays tribute to eleven celebrated international musicians.

As he explained: “I was commissioned by the owners of the Ekhayeni Pub & Grill to use oil colours on canvas to paint the following late musicians, Luciano Pavarotti, Tupac Shakur, Miles Davis, Michael Jackson, Luther Vandross. Marvin Gaye, Barry White, Gerald Levert, Groover Washington, Notorius Big and Bob Marley. The painting is titled the last Super @ Ekhayeni. The size of the painting is 3m by 1 and half meter.”

His eye – catching paintings also hang on the walls of many business buildings in South Africa. He reminisced: “During the World Cup (which SA hosted in 2010) tourists bought many of my paintings. It has been my wish to sell some of my work to the tourists. I have also exhibited my paintings at several art galleries; and at the international Macufe festival”

And by the way, Aducho has done my own portrait too – it somewhat occupies pride of place in my home!

3 comments:

  1. Mh! I need a painting too before I become famous..hahaha. This is brilliant Malome. With thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oga Chief Prof Bolaji, I just finish reading your Article. More Palm Oil to your Elbows, my Chief. Best of luck in your Work this year. Thanx, Stephen Achugwo 0723321030.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are different and each and everyone of us has blessed with a great flair, and they are various ways to discover other Stars.Look how Mr Bolaji has met Sthephen Achugwo unexpectedly and even left him with something to be remembered till demise. Smirking! TM THIBA.

    ReplyDelete